X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication – X11 forwarding suddenly fails

After ages of flawless X11 forwarding over SSH, today I started getting authentication errors and couldn’t even get a remote xterm to display locally over my ssh tunnel.

Weird!

I tried ssh -Y, ssh -X and changes in sshd_conf on the remote server and ssh_conf locally, even though I knew that nothing had changed except a few patches to unrelated software on the local machine. Of course that didn’t help.

I ran xauth on the remote server, no indication of any errors.

It turned out that the remote /home filesystem was out of space, and this prevented the ssh X11 forwarding from working properly. I write this as a note-to-self, as it could happen again…

Outlook hangs with new account with missing credentials

Yesterday, at work, I was adding a group mailbox that I believed that I had access to, to my outlook 2010 client. For some reason only Microsoft knows about, this forces a restart of the outlook client.

It turned out that I didn’t have the permissions required to this shared mailbox, and when I started outlook it kept asking for username and password for that mailbox.

When I clicked “cancel”, outlook stopped responding for a long time, so navigating to the menu where I could remove the account again took an eternity.

The quick way to remove the account from outlook is, surprisingly, to use the control panel. There is a “Mail” function there. It takes you to the same mail account management dialog as from whithin outlook, only difference being that because outlook is closed, it doesn’t try to open the mailboxes, so I could remove the shared mailbox until I got the permission for it today.