I recently had some very nice experiences with gandi simple hosting (where the story tellers guild is located), which is in effect a “hosted VPS”, that is, a hosted solution, but with a private set of apache, mysql, APC and Varnish threads. Very cool indeed.
So I’m now moving this blog to the same platform.
10 minutes of work, and all appears to be working as expected.
- create the vhost(s) (with/without www.)
- add temp /etc/hosts entries while testing
- mysqldump the database (I took one of the cron-generated ones that was only an hour old)
- copy the files from the old DocumentRoot (put -r in sftp works in ubuntu for a recursive put, which was needed due to the amount of files)
- remove temporary /etc/hosts entry
- update DNS records to point to the new host
To finalize, I installed the varnish http purge plugin.
Looking forward to seeing the impact on performance in google webmaster tools.